Thursday, September 12, 2013

GERWALK mode

GERWALK mode is my favorite mode of the VF-1. The happy accident that happened when a robot humped a jet fighter.


I thought getting to gerwalk mode was going to be a lot easier. Turned out I had a lot more work to do in jet fighter mode. The arms are pretty well hidden in fighter mode, they got some much needed attention to detail. The shoulders got some added mechanics of my own design; the flap on the side to hide the gap turned out nice and the vents on top open up (not pictured yet) for a neat effect. The bicep looking detail was added the arms to break up that surface area.

It was an inspiring moment (many years ago) when I visited a manufacturing automation convention that I designed the hands. I turned the robot arms (think welding arms in an auto assembly line) into fingers by attaching five to a base. They came together fairly quickly and back then I did not want to try and model the rounded out hands normally depicted. The hands are fully articulated just not animated yet. When I do get to working on the hands again I will add the servo arms that come out of the fore arm. That will be another post.


The legs needed the most work on the joints. For now they only have the toy based action at the knee and hip. Full articulation at the hip, knees and ankles is going to be a good deal of work. What I have in mind for the those joints is different then how they are usually depicted in toys and cartoons. I will have to address that when I get started on battleoid mode.

The majority of my time was spent on surfacing this bad boy. Surfacing turned out to be pretty hard and this thing has a lot of surfaces. I am basing the paint job on a combination real word references, the toy and the cartoon (Max's Colors). It is as realistic as I can get it, I could keep working on it but one must march on.




Not surprisingly my model comes in at a height of 37"6' (11.5 meters) as apposed to the official height of 28'6" (8.7 meters) That is a whole story difference! 


No comments:

Post a Comment